Job title: Operations Director, Services for Young People
Directorate: Children’s Services
Reports to: Director Children’s Services
Purpose of the Job
- To be responsible for the delivery and commissioning of services for young people including traded services e.g. YC Herts (Youth Connexions)
- To play a leading role in the delivery of the SEND reforms with key partners including schools and health agencies
- To lead on delivery of Early Help Services through Families First programme
- To be responsible for the oversight and performance of the attainment of children & young people in care.
Main Areas of Responsibility
- To ensure that early intervention and prevention services for young people are in place and are both meeting statutory responsibilities and providing early help interventions that reduce demand for high cost services
- To lead and provide strategic direction for the implementation of the SEND reforms across Hertfordshire promoting a strategy of inclusion and local provision
- To promote a partnership approach at a strategic and operational level
- The Post holder directs the following key services:
- - Services for Young People including Youth Justice
- - Integrated Services for Learning
- - Virtual School
- - Families First early help services
- Oversight of all SEN and other services to schools and leadership of commissioning learning provision for young people aged 16 – 25 with complex Learning Difficulties and Disabilities
- To deputise for the Director of Children’s Services when required.
Criminal Background Check
Safeguarding children and adults is of utmost importance to Hertfordshire County Council. The County Council expects employees to abide by legislation and best practice to enable Hertfordshire to achieve this. This role has been identified as requiring a DBS check or Basic Disclosure and this will form a contractual requirement.
- Excellent leadership qualities with credibility to a very wide range of experts, politicians and senior managers/directors
- Substantial experience of strategic leadership of service delivery and commissioning in education and of services to children, young people and their families.
- Skills and experience in managing change
- Good working knowledge of current strategy and legislation for education, children’s services, safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people.
- Ability to contribute significantly to the strategic direction of the Department
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Experience in budget and resource management
- Ability to set and maintain high standards of professional practice for staff without direct line management control of them
- High levels of confidence and the resilience to cope with the challenge of complex and competing demands across a broad portfolio of strategies and services
- University degree or equivalent professional qualification
- Expert knowledge and understanding of legislative and contextual framework.
For further information on the role please visit www.hertfordshirerecruitment.co.uk or call our advising consultants at Penna – Maggie Hennessy 07877 004648, Anita Denton 07725 554802 or Chris Barrow on 0203 8492624.